Friday, February 9, 2018

Carrot on the Moon

Before I came to Pai for the first time, I asked my good friend, David (a true foodie) about cafe/ restaurant recommendations, and he hadn’t been to Pai in quite a while, but one place stuck out in his mind about having good vegetarian options... a place called Carrot on the Moon.

I was immediately intrigued.

So, the first time I arrived in Pai, I pulled up "Carrot on the Moon" on Google maps and wandered over. It was a bit of a walk which took me down some tiny side streets, and to my surprise, I found a hostel named Carrot on the Moon with the teeniest cafe attached. Some nice sunny outdoor seating, just a few picnic-like tables actually were scattered around, but it wasn't what I had imagined.

I walked in the small shop where I immediately spotted a few gorgeous looking slices of cake in a display case. Other than that, there was just a counter. All I actually wanted was a coffee, so I ordered an iced Americano. The smiling lady behind the counter recommended their specialty drink, an Americano made with coconut water. I was certainly skeptical about this prospect, as I am kind of a purist when it comes to coffee, and I declined at first, but she insisted that it WAS their specialty drink and really good, not to be missed—- so I decided to give it a go. It ended up being so much better than I imagined it could be, and seriously, my new favorite drink.

So this time, I went back and ordered the same thing. And it was just as delicious as before.


And the one question that looms in my mind is....

Are they familiar with the idea of rabbits on the moon from Japanese culture:

see:

http://bunfectionary.com/rabbits-making-mochi-on-the-moon/

or

are rabbits on the moon a little something that lurks in the wordly subconscious?


No comments:

Post a Comment